Haigslea State School opened 12 July 1876 and was then called Walloon Scrub State School. The first teacher was Alfred Bell Kemp who came from England in June the same year. The majority of pupils were German children many of whom spoke little English.
In September 1876, the name of Walloon Scrub District was changed to Kircheim, meaning Church Home, by a petition of the residents. The First World War brought about another change of name. In October 1916, Kircheim became Haigslea. This time the Lands Department rather than the local people initiated the change.
In 1937 the first school buildings were sold for removal and a new school and residence were built. Since then the school has had extensions and new demountable buildings added.
Follow these links to find out where we are located and to learn more information about our area:
Bonzle Website - Haigslea
MultiMap - Haigslea